Books I've read

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Talented Mr Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

Well, I must be one of only a few on the planet who have not seen the movie 'The Talented Mr Ripley', so, before watching it I decided that I would read the book. Yes, I am one of those book-people as the blog might suggest.

Anyway, on with the show. The blurb for this book states (and I am quoting the Daily Telegraph here) "It is hard to imagine anyone interested in modern fiction who has not read the Ripley novels." Well, I consider myself as an interested party in modern fiction, therefore, no need to image Mr/Ms Daily Telegraph, there are plenty of us out there (I checked).

Having such a big rap like that from the Daily Telegraph, the Ripley novel might be feeling some anxiety as to its ability to meet the required level to attain the reralms of classic modern fiction. However, it should fear not as I concurcompletely with the Daily Telegraph.

This is a chilling novel, but, not so that it is off the bed time reading list. The protanganist, Tom Ripley has a very warped sense of worth which is evident from his actions in Chapter One. Such is Tom's mindset, that his self worth is nothing unless he considers he is outsmarting at least one other person. His need for power can be found in the smallest of lies to the grand scale of murder. Tom's intellegence puts him in the category of genius, but his execution 'friendship' makes him one of the most frightening people on earth.

The book was filled with a number of twist and turns, which kept me gripped until the very end. The plot is well constructed and each chapter skillfully written. There is a beauty in the detective ways of the 1950s and a sense that other crime fiction is now filled with DNA samples and scientific jargon. In my opinion, I much prefer this style of writing and will be reaching for the next in the Mr Ripley series (once I have gotten through my existing list of must-reads).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home