Books I've read

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

Well this one, Running with Scissors, came highly recommended from Anna and I can definitely vouch for its promising beginning. However, the subject matter turned a little(?) unsavoury somewhere around Chapter 3, and I must say that I didn't enjoy this book very much at all.

I did complete the book (as I always do) and it is true that the unsavoury subject matter is punctuated by hilarious moments, but overall I wouldn't recommend this one. If you are able to accept this as a story rather than a memoir, you might have more success than I.

It is wonderfully written, but just not my cup of tea. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing Dry, Burroughs second book.

EDIT
I realised that I never actually told you what the book was about. The bare bones of the story is this: Augusten is 13 years old when his parents divorce and he is left to live with his mother who is battling her own internal demons. Through her battle, she has Augusten adopted by her psychiatrist. The story follows Augusten unusual life as he moves between his mother's house and the psychiatrist's house.

I also spoke with Anna today, and she tells me she has just completed Dry. Apparently, Dry is not as graphic as the first book, and follows Augusten through his drinking days and therapy. I may reconsider the reading of Dry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home