Books I've read

Saturday, March 03, 2007

In my Skin - Kate Holden

I found this book incredible and could not put it down. It tells the story of middle-class Kate growing up in a supportive family in Melbourne. Then it tells of her slip in the St Kilda drug scene and eventual prostitution to support her habit.

Kate is, at times, embarrassingly honest about her situation and gave me an amazing insight into how quickly drugs are able to take over one person's world. What is also great about this book is that Kate shows drugs don't just effect one persons world, they affect your family, friends and colleagues.

Some of the living conditions and extreme lack of money told a take that I am sure is currently being lived by more than a few people. But I was more interested in how Kate eventually overcame addiction and restarted her life.

This is a great first book from Kate, and I look forward to her upcoming novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home